I recently got a new laptop, an N56V from ASUS. It shipped with windows 7, but I didn’t want to abandon Linux so I decided to dual boot with ubuntu.
After I installed ubuntu, my windows refused to boot with the error message “invalid efi path”. I checked it out and apparently there is some new bios boot system called EFIT (?). I did not find an easy solution to this problem.
- There is a project called rEFIt which looks a bit like it might do the trick, but it seems to be used primary with MAC (?).
- There were also some other threads, but the instructions involved recompiling grub and/or manually moving partitions and I don’t want to do that.
- Maybe something like boot camp would do the trick? I havn’t had the time to try, and I needed to get my system up and running (there are only so many times I want to recover my windows installation or switch hard drives..)
I followed this manual to setup the dual boot (which resulted in the EFI error message)
I couldn’t run only ubuntu mainly because:
- The wirless mouse (Logitech Laser Nano M505) didn’t work properly. My (not so qualified) guess is that it’s got something to do with USB 3.0 compatibility/drivers. This computer only has USB 3 slots.
- Ubuntu did not find my wired network card (Atheros AR8161/8165 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)). I expected it to show up as eth0, but there was no sign of it. The wireless worked right away.
I don’t have time to look into these issues right now – I am back to work and need a working system. And it’s summer and the sun is shining..
my strategy is to wait a few months, checking ubuntu with the live cd every now and then. I really miss ubuntu. When/if the mouse and network card issues have been resolved I’ll try to run with ubuntu as the single operating system.
Anyway, I figured I’d put this post on the internet to see if it turns up in any search results 🙂 Anybody experiencing the same problems as me? Anybody found a [not too complicated or time consuming] solution? Please comment!! I would very much appreciate it.
Maybe I’ve been affected by this bug. Hope it’s fixed soon..